Lane splitting (filtering)

Jump in here to have your say

Lane splitting (filtering)

Postby Johnno » 25 Jun 2014, 17:32

I call it lane splitting, and I have been known to do it on occasion. I understand the the NSW Govt has agreed to allow this with some limitations. No ridin' at 130 kms per hour in between the cars when they're moving! Or sumthin' like that.

Spoilsports don't want us ridin' up the footpath either when we are trying to find a parkin' spot, or makin' a third lane of traffic at the lights, or coverin' our number plates to prevent camera fines.

I will make this point, and I invite anyone over the age of 30 to query me.... I reckon I used to get pulled over and booked for speeding by a copper in a car a lot more 30 years ago than these days? Is it just me? I can't remember the last time I saw someone on a bike, or for that matter in a car, being pulled over and booked. I still see coppers in cars, and sometimes on bikes, but they don't seem to be doing traffic patrol, And I reckon that's why lane splittin/filtering is fair enough! No ones gunna stop ya! And if they aren't gunna stop ya, then why don't they make it legal in Victoria like it is in NSW?

Johnno
Johnno

Re: Lane splitting (filtering)

Postby Danman » 11 Aug 2014, 13:53

Hi Johnno,

A couple of years ago the single white line became the same as a double white line passing wise. For those of us who ride the black spur this eliminated every passing spot that was not a broken/dotted line. As far as lane splitting, it also made the solid single line at the front of every traffic light a no passing zone. I have heard of lane splitters going through sitting traffic at the lights legal until they get to the front! be care full and make sure your indicator is on, but for that last bit at the front it can be a bookable offence.
As far as being pulled over, well we may not get pulled over as much but now they are taking our photos - a more efficient way of dealing with people and it eliminated the human contact.
My wish is that road safety should be about the condition of the roads and up-skilling all drivers to cope with all conditions, not to mention a lesson in courtesy that has disappeared from our experiences.
Many years ago there was a push in the city to not allow us to park on the footpath and the MRA organised for bikes to occupy the parking bays in the CBD - one bike per park. We clogged the city for one Saturday morning and I have not heard anything since.
Thanks for the chance to rant, I do not think we solved anything but it is always good to have a robust debate on all issues

Cheers

Dan
four wheels move the body, TWO WHEELS MOVE THE SOUL
Danman

Re: Lane splitting (filtering)

Postby Johnno » 27 Feb 2015, 12:35

I think this topic is still getting some press, in QLD I think they are ok with it as long as its done below 30kms??? I am not sure how they measure the speed, given that the coppers will be in a car when they suspect we are doing more than 30??? Can they drive their car in heavy traffic, and shoot us with their radar, when we are hidden in the traffic in the gap bewtween the cars??? Heavy penalties for anyone they can convict for exceeding 30, but how can they detect that?
I don't think that a camera can pick me up up doing 33 kms between the cars can they???
When we get to the front of the traffic, and there is a couple of motorbike riders, I normally get ahead of the stationary car and make room for the other riders to also get in front, otherwise they are stuck in between the cars when the lights change. Thats not safe! I once had a car run over my foot 'cause the car driver steered towards me when he wanted in to the next lane at the lights. Ouch!
My newest problem on the road is car drivers overtaking me and then chopping in front of me when they get past. I'm now sitting a couple of kays below the speedlimit due to having only 3 demerit points left and nearly 2 years to go before I get any back... But car drivers who have plenty of points drive a bit faster than me but don't want to sit in the right lane, fair enough, but they don't allow much room to change lanes in front of me and I don't like it. All my riding career I have believed I am safer if I ride slightly faster than the traffic, so I am always overtaking the cars. I am in control of my destiny then. when they pass me I am at their mercy!
Wadya think???
Johnno
Johnno

Return to Rants